Dental Plans for ALPA Members and their Families: Our Dental Plan Carrier is Changing
We are pleased to announce that effective Jan. 1, 2021, we have partnered with Anthem to manage our voluntary dental plans. After a thorough analysis of Anthem’s dental product and enhanced offerings, the ALPA Retirement and Insurance Committee and the ALPA Pilot Welfare Benefit Plan determined that Anthem would be a great partner to help ALPA continue to offer plans and service you expect, while driving innovation and delivering savings to you.
We offer these plans to pilots who do not have access to other dental coverage or as an option for pilots who have inadequate employer-sponsored coverage or do not receive a company subsidy toward the cost. Pilots who may be considering an ALPA plan in addition to other dental coverage should fully understand how the two plans will coordinate benefits before enrolling in an ALPA plan. Please see the FAQ for more information on coordination of benefits.
Enrollment is open anytime throughout the year. However, rates are subject to an annual renewal date of January 1. There is also a 12-month waiting period on all major services for all new enrollments.
ALPA Plan Features
- The Basic Plan offers diagnostic, preventive, and restorative services with low premiums.
- The Comprehensive Plan has higher benefit maximums and coinsurance with additional covered services including orthodontics.
- New policies will have a standard 12-month waiting period on major (crowns, inlays, onlays, and cast restorations) and prosthodontic services (bridges, dentures, and implants). During the waiting period, no benefits will be paid for major and prosthodontic services.
- Children are covered until the end of the year in which they attain age 26.
- No preexisting conditions limitations apply.
- Wellness benefits include expectant mothers covered for an extra evaluation and cleaning or periodontal scaling/root planning procedure.
Monthly Rates (Effective Jan. 1, 2021)
- Member: $48.21 Basic; $58.26 Comprehensive
- Member & Spouse: $85.84 Basic; $109.04 Comprehensive
- Member & Child(ren): $94.86 Basic; $105.84 Comprehensive
- Member & Family: $138.32 Basic; $162.97 Comprehensive
About Anthem Dental
Anthem Dental is one of the strongest dental benefit companies and is part of a family of companies with more than 40 million members in affiliated health plans. They administer dental benefits for nearly 10 million people and 87,000 employer groups nationwide.
- Largest Network. Through Anthem Dental, members will have access to more than 130,000 unique dentist and over 400,000 access points nationwide. Network discounts average 36% nationally. Member have automatic access to Anthem’s International Emergency Dental Program for 24/7 assistance when traveling out of the country. Members also have a network of nearly 100 providers in Mexico, offering members a dental tourism option or low-cost care.
- Regular cleanings. Keep your smile bright and catch problems before more costly services are necessary. The ALPA plans make preventive care affordable with 2 free cleanings per calendar year.
- Access Online Services. Access plan information online any time including benefits, eligibility, claims status, and ID cards. Members also have 24-hour access to helpful online tools including an “Ask the Hygienist” email box for free personalized advice on a variety of dental health topics and an online cost estimator tool that helps members research typical dentist charges for a wide range of procedures.
If you have additional questions about the Anthem Dental insurance plan, please call an ALPA Member Insurance representative at (800) 746-2572.