Critical Illness – Accident Insurance
Chart your course.
The National R&I Committee and the ALPA Pilot Welfare Benefit Plan (“Plan”) offer two products tailored especially for ALPA members. Critical Illness and Accident insurance are underwritten by ReliaStar Life Insurance Company.
Enrollment is only permitted during the annual open-enrollment period each fall.
Coverage cannot be elected, changed, or cancelled until the next open-enrollment period unless you experience one of the following qualifying life events:
- Marriage, establishment or dissolution of a civil union partner or domestic partnership, divorce, or legal separation
- Birth or adoption of a child
- Death of a spouse or child
- Change in residence or work location that affects benefits eligibility for member or covered dependent(s)
- The member or covered dependents gain or lose other benefits coverage due to a change in employment status (for example, beginning or changing a job, furlough, military leave, retirement, etc.)
Critical Illness Insurance
Critical Illness insurance pays a lump sum benefit amount upon diagnosis of a covered disease or illness. Members may use this money for any purpose—expenses not covered by their medical plan, child care, travel, home health-care costs, replacement of lost wages, or any household expenses.
There are no medical questions to be answered or medical tests needed to get coverage.
The ALPA VEBA Trust will sponsor coverage at the $10,000 benefit level for apprentice members. Apprentice and reactivated members may purchase additional amounts at discounted rates. Dependent coverage may also be added.
Group Accident Insurance
Group Accident Insurance pays a specified amount for specific injuries and events resulting from a covered accident. As with the Critical Illness Insurance benefit, members may use this money for any purpose.
The ALPA VEBA Trust will sponsor Group Accident Insurance coverage for apprentice members and offer discounted rates for reactivated members. Dependent coverage may also be added.
A Few Advantages
- Benefits are paid in addition to any health insurance benefits you currently receive and can help cover your out-of-pocket expenses.
- There are no medical questions to answer or medical tests to take.
- Wellness benefits for both the Critical Illness and Accident Insurance—$100 for member, $100 for your covered spouse, and $50 per covered child to a maximum annual benefit of $200 for annual health screening tests.
- Fully portable benefits.