MyFuture Frequently Asked Questions
Beginning October 1, 2020, ALPA Canada is offering a new option for benefits coverage in the event you no longer have access to your employer-sponsored program due to termination of employment, retirement, or layoff. The program is called MyFuture and is administered by Morneau Shepell.
1. What’s changing?
ALPA is introducing MyFuture—a new way to purchase medical and dental benefits in the event of termination of employment, retirement, or layoff. Provided by Morneau Shepell, MyFuture is an online benefit marketplace specially designed to pick up where your employer-sponsored benefits leave off.
MyFuture provides you access to affordable benefit products that can protect you and your family from the cost of health-care services not covered by your provincial health plan. You’ll also receive a limited-time offer to select a number of insurance products without proof of good health.
If you leave the Association or you no longer have access to your employer-sponsored benefits program, a detailed information package about MyFuture will be sent to you. In the meantime, this short video provides an overview of MyFuture and how it can help you.
2. What is MyFuture?
MyFuture is Canada’s first online marketplace for health, dental, and other insurance benefits. It features a wide range of competitive medical, travel, dental, and life insurance plans—designed specifically for retirees, including those who no longer qualify for benefits through their employer-sponsored program—provided in partnership with leading Canadian insurance companies such as Canada Life, Green Shield Canada, Medavie Blue Cross, and Pacific Blue Cross.
More specifically, MyFuture allows participants to compare insurance products between multiple providers to find the right coverage that meets their lifestyle and needs. It offers guaranteed acceptance to medical, dental, and travel plans upon enrollment and is backed by a telephone-accessible team of experts.
If you enroll in MyFuture within 60 days after your employer-sponsored coverage ends, you will not need to provide evidence of good health for medical, dental, or travel coverage.
3. Who is eligible for the MyFuture Marketplace coverage?
You are eligible for MyFuture marketplace if you were an active ALPA Canada member prior to the date your employer-sponsored benefits ends.
4. How does MyFuture marketplace compare to other products available on the market?
MyFuture marketplace is unique and only available to members of participating companies/associations like ALPA. It is not offered on the individual retail market. It is a special arrangement that has been negotiated with different national insurance companies, based on specific needs.
Some key features:
- No evidence of good health is required to qualify for medical, dental, or travel coverage if purchased within 60 days from the date your employer-sponsored coverage ends.
- A lifetime rate discount is available for medical, dental, or travel coverage if evidence of good health is provided at initial enrolment, regardless of a change in health status later on.
- It provides a more extensive drug coverage than similar products on the market.
- It offers an online, one-stop shop for all benefits available from all insurance providers.
- You benefit from decision support tools and a dedicated team to support you in making an informed decision regarding your benefits selections.
5. What types of coverage are offered?
MyFuture includes coverage for the following benefits to those who are losing access to their employer-sponsored program:
- Health: MyFuture offers three levels of health coverage (i.e., essential, enhanced, comprehensive) so you can choose a level best suited to your needs and budget. Each level includes prescription drugs, paramedical coverage, medical services and supplies, private duty nursing, vison care, and hospital coverage.
- Dental: MyFuture also offers three levels of dental coverage (i.e., essential, enhanced, comprehensive) so you can choose a level best suited to your needs and budget. Two levels include basic restorative, periodontal, and endodontic coverage, while the third level also includes major restorative coverage.
- Travel insurance: Travel coverage offers you the choice between three multitrip annual plans. You can select coverage from 30, 60, or 90 days per trip, with no limits on the number of trips.
- Life insurance and accidental death and dismemberment (AD&D) insurance: Life and AD&D insurance is available to you and your spouse in units of $10,000—up to a maximum of $100,000.
- Critical illness insurance: Critical illness insurance is available to you and your spouse in units of $10,000—up to a maximum of $100,000.
6. How much are premiums?
Monthly premiums are based on a variety of factors, including age, gender, health status, and province. They are also based on the level of coverage selected.
Applicants have the option of completing an online proof of good health questionnaire to receive up to 25 percent off the standard guaranteed health, dental, and travel insurance rates.
Life, AD&D, and critical illness insurance premiums are based on the number of units selected. Life and critical illness insurance are also subject to each applicant satisfying the insurer’s evidence of insurability.
7. How will I pay my premiums for these benefits?
The payment of premiums will be managed directly by Morneau Shepell. Once you have completed a preauthorized payment form, monthly premiums will be withdrawn from your bank account. They will not be deducted from your pension payment, if any.
8. Are there any rules or restrictions about when I can apply for MyFuture?
Starting October 1, 2020, you are guaranteed access to health, dental, and travel coverage without having to provide proof of good health if you apply for health and dental coverage within 60 days of the date your employer-sponsored coverage ends.
You need to enroll in medical coverage before being eligible for dental or travel insurance.
You can apply for life, AD&D, and critical illness insurance any time after leaving ALPA. Keep in mind, proof of good health is required for life and critical illness insurance through MyFuture.
9. Can I cover my dependents?
Yes, you can cover your spouse and dependents.
10. Where can I find more information about MyFuture?
Information about MyFuture will be sent to you when your membership status changes, or you may access plan information online.
Each plan member who satisfies the eligibility criteria will be provided with a unique access code for the MyFuture portal. This access code is provided by Morneau Shepell and is not provided by ALPA Canada.
11. Who do I contact if I have a question about MyFuture?
If you have a question about MyFuture and how it works, contact a MyFuture expert at 1-844-336-3130, Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. ET.