‘The Conscience of the Airline Industry’
Of ALPA’s three strategic goals, the safety and security of our members, our passengers, and our cargo is the original cornerstone. In 1931, the mission was simple: keep airline pilots alive. Hence, “Schedule with Safety” was appropriately adopted as the union’s motto, and it continues to be a strong guiding force for the Association.
ALPA’s solid track record of safety advancements and accomplishments in nearly 87 years has fortunately allowed the union’s expertise and advocacy to widen in scope beyond that of safety. ALPA pilots and staff are equally known as experts in pilot representation and the future of the profession. But it’s important to note that the moniker “the conscience of the airline industry” continues to be ever present in every aspect of the union’s work. And today that’s borne out by the hundreds of pilot representatives who make up ALPA’s Air Safety Organization (ASO). Their work ensures that air travel remains the safest mode of transportation in North America—now and in the future.
Click the links below to learn more about the pilots who compose the world’s largest nongovernmental safety organization and address the critical aspects of aviation safety, security, pilot assistance, and jumpseat. You’ll also learn about related committees that address cargo, remote operations, and flight-time/duty-time.
- ALPA Air Safety Organization Resource Directory (PDF)
- Aviation Safety by Capt. Steve Jangelis (Delta), Air Safety Organization Aviation Safety Chairman
- Aviation Security by Capt. Wolfgang Koch (Delta), Air Safety Organization Aviation Security Chairman
- Pilot Assistance by F/O John Taylor (United), Air Safety Organization Pilot Assistance Chairman
- Aviation Jumpseat by Capt. Rich Odbert (FedEx Express), Air Safety Organization Aviation Jumpseat Chairman
- President's Committee for Cargo by Capt. Rich Hughey (FedEx Express), President’s Committee for Cargo Chairman
- President's Committee for Remote Operations by Capt. Peter Black (First Air), President’s Committee for Remote Operations Chairman
- Flight Time/Duty Time by Capt. Don Wykoff (Delta), Flight Time/Duty Time Committee Chairman