Congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy marriage! After the vows, you must complete paperwork to record the life event called marriage. ALPA’s Family Issues Group is here to help you navigate the process of updating your marital status and resulting benefits.

This page will help guide you through the process with information on:

  • ALPA membership and benefits
  • Beneficiary changes
  • Company emergency contact info
  • Family status change form
    • Company medical and pass privileges
  • Name change (if applicable)
    • ALPA membership
    • Driver’s license
    • FAA airman’s certificate
    • Medical certificate
    • Passport
    • Social Security Card
  • Tax withholdings
  • Wills and other legal matters

ALPA Membership

Update ALPA with your new information by sending an e-mail to

You can update your contact info and add your spouse’s name online.

Finally, contact ALPA Member Insurance at or 1-800-746-2572 to modify or enroll in ALPA’s optional insurance products. Changes can also be made using the insurance portal.

Domestic Partner

Domestic partners may or may not be eligible for company health-care benefits. This may include individuals in registered domestic partnerships, civil unions, and common law marriages. Check with your employer for details.

Health-Care Benefits

Your spouse may be an eligible dependent for all company health-care plans available to pilots. Check with your employer for more information.

Name Change

Pilot takes spouse’s last name. The most common name change is a pilot changing his or her last name to the last name of his or her spouse. In this case, the marriage certificate is all you need. You will need to update your driver’s license, airman’s certificate, medical certificate, and passport. Further, you will need to report the life event to your employer and ALPA. Finally, you will want to update your beneficiary information as necessary.

Remember, certified copies of marriage certificates are often required, and photocopies may not be accepted. Call or visit the location where the marriage certificate was issued and request multiple certified marriage certificate copies—each usually has a raised seal.

Hyphenated last name. Pilots who hyphenate their name with their spouse’s name do not need to go to court either. The marriage certificate is sufficient. However, in some unusual cases, a name change petition must be filed in court.

Other name changes. You will need to petition for a legal name change at your local county court. There will be filing fees and a court order with the new name.

There are two ways to change your name on your medical certificate. If it’s time to renew your medical, simply take your marriage certificate or name change court order to your AME. If it’s not time to see the doc, call the FAA Aeromedical Certification Division at 405-954-4821 for information on requesting a new medical certificate with the new name. There is no cost for a new certificate because of marriage.

You must apply in person for a new airman certificate that reflects your name change. Learn more.

You can also apply to have your name changed on your Social Security Card. Learn more.

Company Policy

Your employer may already have a checklist for marriage as well as family status change forms and beneficiary change forms.

Beneficiary Changes

Update your beneficiaries so your current family situation is reflected on all relevant policies.
This includes all retirement plans.

Emergency Contacts

Update your emergency contacts with your employer.

Passport Name Change

Your airline may have a department to assist you with a new passport after a name change. If not, more information is available online.  

Pass Travel

Visit your employer’s pass travel page for more information on pass travel.

Tax Withholdings

To update your marital status on your IRS W-4, visit your employer’s page or contact your HR department.

Will Preparation

Consider a new will, trust, power of attorney, or other estate plans. You can do this with benefits, such as an optional legal plan, at LegalZoom, or your private attorney.