Dental Plans for ALPA Members and their Families
The National R & I Committee and the ALPA Pilot Welfare Benefit Plan (“Plan”) offer two dental plan options tailored especially for eligible active and retired ALPA members. Dental Insurance coverage is available through MetLife. We offer these plans to pilots who do not have access to other dental coverage or as an option for pilots who have inadequate employer-sponsored coverage or do not receive a company subsidy toward the cost. Pilots who may be considering an ALPA plan in addition to other dental coverage should fully understand how the two plans will coordinate benefits before enrolling in an ALPA plan. Please see the FAQ for more information on coordination of benefits.
Enrollment is open anytime throughout the year. However, rates are subject to an annual renewal date of Jan 1st. There is also a 12-month waiting period for all major services for all new enrollments.
ALPA Plan Features
- The Basic Plan offers diagnostic, preventive, and restorative services with low premiums.
- The Comprehensive Plan has higher benefit maximums and coinsurance with additional covered services including orthodontics.
- New policies will have a standard 12-month waiting period on major (crowns, inlays, onlays, and cast restorations) and prosthodontic services (bridges, dentures, and implants). During the waiting period, no benefits will be paid for major and prosthodontic services.
- Children are covered until the end of the year in which they attain age 26.
- No preexisting conditions limitations apply.
- Wellness benefits include preventive dental services when you have certain medical conditions. Your MetLife Dental plan includes additional services to members with the following medical conditions: cancer, chemotherapy and/or radiation, diabetes, high-risk cardiac conditions, kidney failure or dialysis, periodontal (gum) disease, pregnancy and suppressed immune system.
Monthly Rates (Effective Jan. 1, 2024)
|Member & Spouse
|Member & Child(ren)
|Member & Family
About MetLife Dental
MetLife Dental is the largest administrator of dental benefit plans among all single commercial carriers1 providing dental plan administration for more than 20 million people.2
- Largest Network. Through MetLife Dental, members will have access to more than 400,000 general practitioners and 118,000 specialists with over 535,800 access points nationwide. Typical network savings of 30%–45% on covered services when you use a participating dentist.3
- Regular cleanings. Keep your smile bright and catch problems before more costly services are necessary. The ALPA plans make preventive care affordable with 2 free cleanings per calendar year.
- Access Online Services. The MyBenefits web site is a quick and easy way for you to get the information you need about your MetLife benefits—all in one place. Log in at metlife.com/mybenefits to access plan information, find a participating dentist or view your benefits, copay, or coinsurance amount, and claims online. Plus, you will have access to our extensive Oral Health Library4 to research important dental topics. Additionally, MetLife’s mobile app puts convenience in the palm of your hands. You can quickly access and manage your benefit information—anytime, anywhere.
If you have additional questions about the MetLife Dental insurance plan, please call an ALPA Member Insurance representative at 888-817-0845. Representatives are available 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET.
1LIMRA 4Q21 U.S. Workplace Benefits Dental and Vision Final In Force Report, based on in force market share.
2MetLife data as of January 2022.
3Based on internal analysis by MetLife. Savings from enrolling in a dental benefits plan will depend on various factors, including the cost of the plan, how often participants visit the dentist and the cost of services rendered.
4All information provided on the website (“Website”) is intended for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for obtaining medical or dental advice for specific medical or dental conditions or other advice from your dentists or doctors. By making the Website available to you, Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, and its affiliates (collectively, “MetLife”) is not engaged in rendering any such advice. Use of the Website is subject to all the terms stated therein. The Website is developed, provided, and maintained by Verifpoint, an independent vendor. Insofar as the information provided on the Website is from third parties or links to third party websites, it has no association whatsoever with MetLife, unless expressly stated.
Like most group benefit programs, benefit programs offered by MetLife contain certain exclusions, exceptions, waiting periods, reductions, limitations, and terms for keeping them in force. Ask your MetLife group representative for complete details.
Metropolitan Life Insurance Company | 200 Park Avenue | New York, NY 10166
L0923035015[exp0925][All States][DC,GU,MP,PR,VI] © 2023 MetLife Services and Solutions, LLC.